Friday, October 14, 2016

Weekly Reading Update: 10/7 - 10/13/16

Another week, another update! It's been a very review-ful week for me, so this week won't be an overloaded one like some others. But just because it was light in quantity does not mean it was light in quality!

First up was Cocky Bastard by Penelope Ward and Vi Keeland. This is a well-known writing pair, and I absolutely loved Stuck-Up Suit, so I had high hopes for Cocky Bastard. Alas, it wasn't as good as I would have liked. I loved the beginning, and I absolutely loved Chance (and Mutton/Pixy!!), but Aubrey made me so mad in the second half of the book. That said, I'm very eager to give Playboy Pilot a shot!

Next up was Dragonmark by Sherrilyn Kenyon. The Dark-Hunter series was one of the first ones I read when I started getting into the paranormal romance world. I love all the mythology, the creatures, and even the characters themselves. And while I did enjoy Dragonmark - I'm worried this series is starting to lose its magic. Too many series are converging, and she's throwing in more than even she can handle. My review for Dragonmark will be going up on Romance Reviews Today this month.

Next, I went into graphic novel mode, reading Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet by Ta-Nehisi Coates. I've been eagerly awaiting this book for months! I knew Coates would hit it out of the park, and he did. I just wish it had been longer, since it felt so unfinished. And I know, it's just volume 1 and the story will continue - but I needed a little more resolution before it ended. After that, I picked up American Vampire Volume 8 by Scott Snyder. I voraciously read this series back in the day - until I caught up with what had been released. Now that I have to wait for each new volume to come out.. while I still like the series, it just seems to have lost some of its magic. Probably because I can no longer binge read it.

Lastly, I read Charming by Elliott James for work. I am one of the staff moderators for the Positively Paranormal Book Club - a library lead book discussion about paranormal, urban fantasy, and science fiction reads. The club has been running for five or six years, and is one of the library system's most successful book clubs. Charming is an excellent urban fantasy read for fans of Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne, Richard Kadrey, and more. I loved it! And can't wait to continue the series.

That's it for me this week.

Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda, Novel Addiction ~!~

No comments: