Friday, August 26, 2016

Weekly Reading Update 8/19 - 8/25/16

Another week, another update… As always, click the title for more information!

I really don’t have too much this week. I was really busy, with something scheduled almost every evening after work. I took a women’s self-defense class early in the week, which was amazing. Tuesday night I had to work in the evening, Wednesday I had to head to my mother’s to drop stuff off for her, and then Thursday evening my friend was having a Scentsy party. I’ve never been to one before, but man… so many good smells! But enough about that - on to the books!

I started my weekend off reading The Ukrainian and Russian Notebooks: Life and Death Under Soviet Rule by Igort. For my 2016 reading challenge, I had to read a book about a culture I am unfamiliar with - so I chose this one randomly off the shelf. I was not prepared for how horrible life was at that time. The famine was so bad, people were resorting to cannibalism, and just the way people treated other humans.. It was horrifying! I’m now stuck somewhere between wanting to know more about this time period in that part of the world, because I like to keep myself informed… but also not wanting to know any more because it’s so terrible.

Next, I moved on to Tailored for Trouble my Mimi Jean Pamfiloff. I got this one to review for Romance Reviews Today, and I was surprised how much I liked it. It starts off like every other CEO-hires-consultant-and-falls-in-love kind of book, but Tailored for Trouble jumped right off the romance trope chain and threw in some curveballs I didn’t expect. I’m already eager for the second one, but there’s no release month yet - all that’s listed is some time in 2017.

After so much contemporary, I was in the mood for some
paranormal romance - so I finally picked up Runaway Vampire and Immortal Nights by Lynsay Sands. Runaway Vampire came out earlier this year, and Immortal Nights is releasing next month - so if you love paranormal romance, now is the time to start on the Argeneau series by Lynsay Sands. I love her stuff. This series is always on my insta-buy list. And when I’m having a rough day, there’s several I pick up and re-read to feel better.


I then moved on to a graphic novel, Blue Monday: The Kids Are Alright by Clugston Flores Chynna. This is put out by Image comics, which I love, so when my library purchased this title - I had to try it. I thought it was interesting, but not something I’m going to have to read the next volume right now like some other comics. And while the characters may be teens, trust me, the language makes this something for older readers.

And finally, quite randomly, I found myself rereading In The Company of Vampires by Katie MacAlister. I think because she posted something mentioning Ben and Fran in her online readers group - so I grabbed it off my favorites shelf and brought it to work with me. And even though I know what’s going to happen, and that everything will turn out okay.. I still get sad when Fran sees Ben with someone else. Sigh.

That’s it for me this week!

Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda, Novel Addiction ~!~

No comments: