Friday, March 20, 2015

REVIEW: "The Bigger Bang" by Vassilis Gogtzilas

Disclaimer: This book was given to be in exchange for a fair and honest review. 

Release Date: May 26, 2015

Type: Graphic Novel, Comic Book, Mythology, Not a series?, The Big Bang (but Bigger!)

About the Book: The Big Bang created all life as we know it. The Bigger Bang creates just one: a being named Cosmos. Is he a destroyer? A hero? A god? All he knows is that he's completely alone in what was our universe... so he seeks out another where he'll try to atone for the sins of his mysterious creation. [Description provided by Netgalley.com]

My Review: This is a perfect example of a comic book that tries to be something epic and high brow, but falls short. Comic books and graphic novels are a visual medium, so I'm not sure why this story felt like it had to tell me what was happening instead of showing me. And there was such flowery language used in places, it felt like a dime store novel was trying to be a literary great. It just didn't work.

I liked the meat of the story, but I think it could have been done better. Maybe if this was longer, more fleshed out, it would have fared better. However, the "telling, not showing" and the art didn't do it for me. The cover is very artful, and I can even see that being an awesome art print in a comic book shop, or in someone's private collection. But the book itself just... well, as I said, it just felt like it was trying too hard.

Cover Lovin': While I do like how art-y this cover is, I can't say it's very eye catching, or gives the reader any idea of the story. So overall, not great.

Recommendation: For lovers of large epic stories told in a very small space.

Final Rating: THREE out of FIVE stars (3/5). This had some great points, but overall, it wasn't wow-worthy.


Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda at Novel Addiction~!~

No comments: