Friday, August 16, 2013

REVIEW: "Patrick Eats His Peas, and other stories" by Geoffrey Hayes

Disclaimer: I received an electronic galley of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Type: Graphic Novel, Juvenile, Patrick needs to listen to his mother, Cute, Great for parents to read to their kids.

About the book: Patrick Bear is the perfect playmate. Equal parts adorable and bratty, this endearing hero transforms daily routines into fun adventures. As he keeps his parents on their toes from breakfast to bedtime, Patrick also keeps early readers coming back for more. In this second Patrick TOON Book, four classic stories beloved by parents and librarians are given new life by the uncontested master of children’s comics. (Description from Amazon.com)

My Review: This graphic novel for kids actually features several stories - including "Patrick Eats His Peas," "Patrick Helps Out," "Patrick Takes A Bath," and "Patrick Goes to Bed." I do not have small children myself, but I am very familiar with babysitting, and I occasionally work in the Children's department of my library - and this is something that I believe would fly off the shelves. Children can really relate to Patrick, heck, I can relate to Patrick! And parents will enjoy the expressions and exasperation expressed by Patrick's Mom and Dad.

Each story has it's own charm, and the book itself includes a guide on how to read graphic novels to your child. As a big graphic novel reader, I never really thought about how one might teach a child to read graphic novels, or how to read one to a child - but the publisher thought of everything, and included some tips for a confused or unsure parent. Definitely pick up "Patrick Eats His Peas, and other stories" by Geoffrey Hayes!

Cover Lovin': I think this cover is adorable - mostly because that is my exact reaction when I am forced to eat peas. The cover fits the book perfectly, and it is definitely something that a child would be interested to read, or have read to them.

Recommendation: For young children, definitely. This is a great book for a parent to read to their kid - the child will totally understand where Patrick is coming from, and the parent will love Patrick's parents facial expressions. Cute and worth a read for families.

Final Rating: FOUR out of FIVE (4/5). Great children's book, and something I would recommend in my own public library.

Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda ~!~
 
(Review cross posted on Goodreads.com)

1 comment:

sixthreezy said...

The how-to guide for graphic novel reading shows the presence that the media has become in the world of literature! Let's hope it continues to grow, as I'm sure graphic novels are the books of the future!

Definitely my future..

Ew peas...