Thursday, March 17, 2011

My gosh, the epicness. REVIEW of "Song of Eidolons" by Jessica McHugh

Song of Eidolons Be sure to enter my contest for a copy of "Insight" by Jamie Magee HERE!

Why this book?: Jessica told me I'd like it. I should learn to trust her judgement, she writes good books.

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Type: Fantasy, Immortality, The Fountain of Youth, Isolation, Reality is usually not as good as fiction - but Delaney's life is pretty epic

From the back of the book: Delaney Lortal is a unique breed of girl. She is well spoken, extremely well read, and highly ambitious for love, but it is not those qualities that make her so unique. It's not even because in twenty-two years of life, she has never set foot outside of her grandfather's house. What makes her so unique is the truth behind a mysterious secret that has made her a target of a clandestine Order called the Orisanima. As wonderous as it is heartbreaking, Song of Eidolons follows Delaney's journey of enlightenment as she struggles to peel back the layers of deceit to discover the amazing truth about her origins.

My Review: I don't know why I was surprised when this novel turned out to be so amazing. I read "The Sky: The World" by Jessica last year ( My Review ) and I absolutely loved it. So after two equally wonderful books, I'll just know to expect it from now on. "Song of Eidolons" features excellent characters, not just the good ones, but the deliciously evil villain as well. Delaney's feelings, emotions, and complex history are completely breathtaking, to say the least. And Dags, her grandfather, is so noble and yet so.. not. The story itself is epic and emotionally moving. A tale that blinds you with it's brilliance and magnificence.

"Song of Eidolons" is written beautifully, similar in style to the high fantasy novels I read and loved so much when I was younger. To say the writing flows is putting it mildly. The dream sequences within the story had me confused, as Delaney is herself in them, but not, make sure to stick with it. The payoff in the end, when Delaney and the reader finally learn about her origins, is well worth that momentary confusion.

I wish I could talk more about how truly wonderful and original this story is, but I'm afraid of giving away too much. And the shock and awe of Delaney Lortal's origin and creation are not something I would want to steal from any reader. So go read the book, really.

Cover Loving: At first, the cover doesn't seem to be a big deal - nothing special. But once you read the book, you realize the cover fits perfectly.

Recommendation: Definitely recommended. Fans of fantasy and mind-blowing tales will absolutely love "Song of Eidolons." An author you will want to keep an eye on!

Final Rating: FIVE out of FIVE (5/5). I'm still a little speechless and flabbergasted by how good this book was. Delaney's story and life are so deep and enchanting, this is definitely a book for my keeper shelf!

Want to pick up a copy of "Song of Eidolons" by Jessica McHugh? Get it at Amazon.com! Have you read "Song of Eidolons" or another book by Jessica McHugh? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda ~!~

No comments: