Wednesday, June 16, 2010

How much are YOU willing to forgive?


Almost everyone that reads fiction has a favorite - whether it be genre, type of pairing, type of creature, etc. My point with this post is... how much are you willing to forgive an author to get what you want?

This idea came from my previous review - "Fallen" by Lauren Kate. As I'm sure you're all sick of hearing, I have so many favorites.. but Angels, fallen or otherwise, are definitely at the top of the list. I blame (read: LOVE) Thomas E. Sniegoski for this, his "The Fallen" series changed me so profoundly, not just as a reader, but as a believer, etc. After that, I searched for more books featuring angels, and was left wanting. Then suddenly.. the boom hit. Now we have "hush hush," "Fallen," "Gentlemen Prefer Succubi," "Covet," etc. I'm in heaven (Get it? Punny?)! But it's still not enough..

Finally, to my point. "Fallen," as well as a few other books, fell somewhat short of my hopes and dreams, but I was and still am so grateful that my want.. nay, my NEED is being fulfilled, that I'm willing to forgive authors almost any transgression. Like I mentioned in my "Fallen" review, I had a hard time getting past the idea that all of these immortal characters were spending their time in highschool. A very prison-like highschool for that matter. But while that bothered me, I was still so happy to get some Angellic action, that I was willing to overlook it. For the most part, anyways.

Am I alone in this? I will hazzard to guess that every reader has something they're looking for in a book they pick up, whether it be some quirk of the hero or heroine, or maybe a type of person/being you love. But what about you, dear readers? Are you willing to forgive authors things like plot holes, flat characters, weird ideas, etc, just because they write what you want/need?

Please, feel free to comment and share your thoughts! I welcome anyone and everyone else's opinion on the matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Thanks so much for your kind words about my The Fallen series . . . I really appreciate them.

Have you discovered my Remy Chandler novels? They're also chock full of angel goodness.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Best,
Tom Sniegoski

Amanda from Novel Addiction said...

Oh wow! Thank you for commenting! I'll admit it, I "EEEE!"ed in excitement, after seeing who it was. I loved your "The Fallen" series, and yes, I have seen the Remy Chandler novels mentioned, and they're actually in my shopping cart at Amazon.com - I can't wait to read them!