Sunday, January 31, 2010

Review of "Nightwalker" by Jocelynn Drake


Aha, another review (finally!) - this time of "Nightwalker" by Jocelynn Drake, the first Dark Days novel. I actually won a signed copy of Jocelynn Drake's third Dark Days novel from her blog several months ago, and getting the first book has been on my list for some time. So when I happened accross "Nightwalker" at my library, I grabbed it. I also have heard Jocelynn Drake compared to Jeaniene Frost (whom I LOVE), so I figured.. well heck, I'll give it a shot! So, my review.. but let's get a little bit of info first...

From the back of the book:
" For centures Mira has been a nightwalker - an unstoppable enforcer for a mysterious organization that manipulates earth-shaking events from the darkest shadows. But elemental mastery over fire sets her apart from other sof her night-prowling breed.. and may be all that prevents her doom. The foe she now faces is human: the vampire hunter called Danaus, who has already destroyed so many undead. For Mira, the time has come to hunt... or be hunted. "

First off, I wanted to say that the back cover is a little misleading. It makes it seem as though Danaus is the main threat throughout the novel, and is the only one she's fighting. Not true.. in fact, there's an entire other race involved, and it's not just Mira, but Danaus and others as well fighting the big bad evil thing. But I can understand how throwing all that in there might leave people confused. Which actually brings me to my next point.

I'm confused. I feel like I need a timeline of Mira's life. Or at least of just the important events that occured from her turning until present day. A lot of times, I wasn't sure if Mira was already a nightwalker at Machu Picchu, or if she was turned following the battle that occured there. And there was mention of a certain type of vampire called "First Blood".. but despite how many times it's talked about, and the fact that Mira supposedly is one, I really don't understand what it is. And I really wish she would explain the Naturi (the big baddies) and the bori (mentioned a few times) a little better. Actually, I wish she would just write a nice big Dark Days series companion, so that I could reference it whenever I had a question.

Mira reminded me, at times, of Anita Blake from the earlier Anita Blake Vampire Hunter novels, which certainly isn't a bad thing. And I did see some similarities to Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. But I can definitely say I don't find this series as appealing as the ones mentioned above. I will, however, keep reading, because I want to know where this all is going. And I was told, by a coworker who has read the series, that it does get better, at least in regards to understanding concepts thrown at the reader.

I would rate this book a THREE POINT FIVE out of FIVE. I thought the book was alright, even good at parts.. but the confusion I felt and the distinct lack of pull (as in, it just didn't pull me in) made me knock it down points-wise. But I did enjoy it to some extent, and I will check out the rest of the series.

Happy Reading!
~!~ Morning Glow

Image courtesy of Amazon.com
Book is on loan from the Reviewer's local library, neither book nor money was given in exchange for a review.

No comments: