Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Review of "The Blue Enchantress" by M. L. Tyndall

So I just finished "The Blue Enchantress" by M. L. Tyndall, and I will be completely honest in saying I had to force myself to finish it. I reviewed this book as part of an Early Reviewers program, and I refuse to do a review if I haven't read the whole thing, as difficult as that may be.

From the back of the book:
" Still grieving the loss of her mother - and private tragedies of her own - Hope Wescott plays the part of a dutiful admiral's daughter. But longing for the love and acceptance she never felt at home, Hope plunges into Charles Towne society... and an illicit affair with Lord Falkland. For Captain Nathaniel Mason, wealth means security, so he is determined to build his shipping business - ignoring God's call on his life to become an impoverished pastor. He also ignores his attraction to the frivolous, vain Hope Wescott. Hope's adventure seeking lands her in the hands of an unscrupulous ship captain who wants to sell her to the highest bidder. When Nathaniel sees Hope on the auction block, will he listen to God and sacrifice his ship, cargo, and security to save her? "

So... I will be the first person to admit I don't read Christian literature. But I received this book and told myself to give it a fair chance. However, some issues, at least issues to me, arose while reading. I really don't have a problem with God appearing in books, not popping up in the story, I mean, but being present or being a part of the story. I understand some characters have religious ties, I'm okay with that. But this book seems to take it a little too far. I thought this would be a love story, but instead I found myself being preached to, with a little bit of a love story on the side, shoved to the backburner. I think the biggest problem I had with this story was that while the main male - Nathaniel Mason, loved the heroine - Hope Wescott, he wouldn't admit his love to himself or her until she "gave herself to God." He wouldn't even allow himself to picture a future with her until she became religious. Before she "turned to God," he did nothing but judge her, and himself for liking her. Heck, even after she had this miraculous change, he kept judging her. I'm all for issues between characters that they have to overcome to be together, that's part of a good love story, but this seems a little extreme.

All that said, I'm giving this book a TWO out of FIVE. I would give it a ONE out of FIVE, since I thought the story itself was awful. But M. L. Tyndall had a very good, descriptive, flowing writing style, and for that alone, I brought the grade up a point. I really don't suggest this book unless it's your sort of thing. I know there are people out there that liked to be preached to, and by all means, check out "The Blue Enchantress." Me, however, I think I'll stick with my vampire romances, hunky cowboys, and handsome devils.

Happy Reading!

Photo courtesy of Amazon.com

No comments: